Make Your Own Bacon
Making your own bacon is not only super easy, its super delicious aswell.
- Zip locks bags
- Meat Thermometer
- 25 grams bacon cure per kg of pork belly
- 1 piece pork belly
- Season the pork belly all over with the cure.
- Place the pork belly in a zip lock bag. Use another zip lock bag or put it in a container in case the first bag breaks.
- Place in your fridge for 5- 7 days (turning daily) until the pork starts to feel firm. The cure will draw moisture out of the meat and create liquid - this is OK.
- Remove the pork from the bag, rinse thoroughly and pat dry. Place it on a rack and leave it in the fridge overnight uncovered.
- Set your smoker to 110 - 120 degrees C (230 - 250 F). Smoke your pork on indirect heat until it reaches an internal temperature of 65 degrees C (150F).
- Allow it to cool. Cut into slices and fry. Enjoy.
If there are any leftovers, slice and freeze ready to cook another time.